The application form will go live on March 1st on this page.
Life-Changing Summer Internships
For thirty-five years, area high school students have had the opportunity to be immersed in health and medical-related experiences at Stillwater Medical. These internships are a unique six-week program where students observe hands-on healthcare within our hospital, clinics and other departments.
During the program, interns are able to observe surgeries, the birth of babies, physical therapy, and emergency treatment as well as shadowing physicians in the hospital and area clinic settings. The program also includes field trips including both of Oklahoma’s medical schools, Dean McGee Eye Institute, the Oklahoma Blood Institute, Integris’ Paul Silverstein Burnt Unit in Oklahoma City and the Oklahoma Cancer Specialists and Research Institute in Tulsa. Last year we added behavior sciences and pharmacy school to the program.
A special thanks to the Breedlove, Franklin and Rippy families who helped initiate these creative, life-changing experiences.
- The entire application is submitted online.
- An anonymous panel reviews the applications and selects up to three finalists for each internship.
- Finalists are called for interviews with a second panel of reviewers. This panel makes the final recommendation for the three internship awards.
- Interns are scheduled independently, and we work with each individual to set his/her calendar. However, the internship must be a priority for the student.
- The internships usually begin the first week of June. Six weeks is equal to 30 full days of activity. Some evening or weekend hours may be necessary to complete the program. Normal hours fall Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Intern dress is business casual. A lab coat and hospital ID badge are provided. Dress shoes or clean tennis shoes are acceptable (no open toed shoes or jeans).
- Upon successful completion of the internship, each student receives a $1,750 stipend.